Salmon, Leek and Cream Cheese Quiche
- 2 tins of Organic Canned Salmon (6 oz /170 g each), drained
- 2 leeks, white parts only, cut in half lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 oz /30g butter, melted
- Dash of white wine
- 8 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 5 ½ oz 150 g cream cheese
- 3 ½ oz /100 g mixed greens
- Whipping cream 1 cup/9 fl oz/259 ml
- Generous salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350 F /180 C and grease a 10 in/25 cm cake pan.
- Fry the leaks in the oil over low heat until soft but not browned.
- Add the wine and bring to a boil, stirring to mix in the juices.
- Mix the eggs, cream and salmon and season with salt and pepper, then stir in the leeks.
- Line the pan with the puff pastry, prick the bottom with a fork and bake for 8 minutes. Remove from the oven and press to flatten the bottom.
- Pour the egg-cream mixture into the base and dot with the cream cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes, until set and golden brown. Serve with the greens.
- 2 cans of Coastwise Organics skinless, boneless or Skinless – boneless with maple syrup
- 3 – 4 BC spotted prawns (optional; you can use equivalent amount of crabmeat)
- ¼ cup of finely chopped, fresh parsley
- 1/8 cup of finely chopped red onions
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon of mayonnaise
- ¼ cup of white, all purpose flour
- ¼ tsp of salt
- Pepper to taste
- ¾ cup of bread crumbs
- Olive oil to grease the frying pan
- Fill a small saucepan with a ¼ inch of water and bring to a boil. Throw in the 3 or 4 spotted prawns. Cover and steam for about 2 minutes with the lid on but slightly open. Don’t let the foam spill onto the burner. After two minutes fill the saucepan with cold water and peel the prawns. Chop the meat into rough cuts, about ¼ inch cubes. If prawns are not available use a similar amount of crabmeat.
- Open 2 cans of the Coastwise Organic King salmon. Drain the liquid. Empty the cans into a medium sized bowl. Add the finely chopped onions, parsley, one whole raw egg, mayonnaise, salt and pepper and the chopped prawn meat. Mix thoroughly. Add the flour and continue mixing.
- In a large frying pan add some olive oil and bring to a high heat until a drop of water sizzles when thrown onto the oil.
- When the frying pan reaches high heat, turn the heat down to medium/high. Take a handful of the salmon mixture and form a patty sized to approximately 3 inches in diameter and about ¾ inches high in the middle. Mixture volume should allow for 4 sizeable patties. Make some smaller ones if there is any mixture left over. Place the patties on a regular dinner plate.
- Onto a second dinner plate spread the breadcrumbs evenly. Coat the patties with the breadcrumbs and place gently into the frying pan.
- Cook for approximately 3 minutes per side or until golden brown. Add more oil if necessary to achieve an even, light brown colour. Set aside when cooked.
- Serve on a dinner plate with vegetables of your choosing. Add a slice of lemon.